Directed Study Application Procedures
- Information about Directed Studies is in the UMM Catalog.
- Consult with faculty in the appropriate discipline to determine who will serve as project instructor.
- Check requirements for your major to determine if this project will count toward that major.
- Watch for the 48-credit limit in a single discipline.
- Student and instructor should work together in completing the Directed Study Approval Form. Students may request Directed Studies to count toward a General Education Requirement. Requests for General Education Designation must be submitted with the approved Directed Study Form at the time of registration.
- The completed Directed Study Form must be signed by the student, the instructor and the division chair. The vice chancellor for academic affairs and dean is division chair for interdisciplinary studies.
- After the division chair or vice chancellor has signed the form, the student may register in the Office of the Registrar. A signed copy of the form must be submitted at the time of registration.
- Students are responsible for distributing provided copies of the directed study form to their instructor.
- At the end of the directed study, an evaluation should be completed by the student and submitted to the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Dean. A blank evaluation form is attached to the faculty member's copy.